4.02.2016

Fanny Crosby: The Hymn Writer


You may have heard the name Fanny Crosby as the writer of many of the hymns we sing today. She is an incredible woman with an incredible trust in God. Let's look a little bit into why she is so amazing---

Fanny was born on March 24, 1820 in New York, City. She was blind at birth. She was never able to see anything. All she could see was black...complete darkness. She never was able to enjoy the beauty of the flowers, the striking colors of the birds, the white blanket of snow out on her doorstep. She never saw the faces of her family, her friends, her husband, her children...anyone she met. It was all dark. Most people probably would think when they hear that she was blind that she had a miserable, dull life. But no...at a young age her mother taught her to love her Savior and to trust in His promises. She learned to do just that! 

As she grew older her faith strengthened. At age 8 she wrote her first poem which told of her condition. She later told people "It seemed intended by the blessed providence of God that I should be blind all my life, and I thank him for the dispensation. If perfect earthly sight were offered me tomorrow I would not accept it. I might not have sung hymns to the praise of God if I had been distracted by the beautiful and interesting things about me." Wow. She actually said she didn't even want to have sight because she might have missed out on the thing's God had intended for her to do? That is amazing! 

As she got older she wrote more poems and songs like "Blessed Assurance" and "Pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior". She got married to another blind man, had children, served the poor while living in a slum herself...completely gave everything because of her love for her Savior. She did not let her blindness hold her back from doing the work God had sent her here to do. She once said "when I get to heaven, the first face that shall ever gladden my sight will be that of my Savior". I can't imagine being blind and accepting it so well. It's so easy for us to want what others have. Their looks, their personality, their friends, their parents, their life. But I think we need to accept that God did not make a mistake when He created us like we are. He knows our future and He created us exactly how he saw fit. Now it is up to us to make the most of what He has given us! 

         __________________________________________________________________
In what ways could you better use what God has given you? You don't have to tell me, but I would encourage you to think and pray about what God has given you and how you are going to use it for Him!

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this, Hannah. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily! I'm glad you enjoyed reading it!

      Delete
  2. I loved this Hannah! I never knew her story...now I want to know even more about her amazing life...it's a very impacting story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hosanna! I recently heard more of her story and it is so amazing!

      Delete

I absolutely love getting comments! They always put a smile on my face, happiness in my heart, and making blogging totally worth it, so I would love if you would comment and tell me what you think!

I ask only that every word you say is completely appropriate and completely honors God. Thank you so much! :)