6.25.2016

Motives

Happy Saturday! ;)

Today's post is on motives. This is something that I've struggled a lot with and is a hard topic to post on...especially since I'm still struggling with it...like right now. ;) But I'm going to jump in and talk about it although it's a very hard topic. Let's begin: 


Definition:

Motives are very important. They are defined as "a reason for doing something, especially one that is hidden or not obvious." 

Examples:

I always love personal examples in books and posts to make a point. I think it is super helpful. So...I'm going to share an excruciatingly embarrassing wrong motive that I had not to long ago. (and still battle with) I remember last school year I started using Duolingo for my Spanish that year. At first I really wanted to learn Spanish, but as the year went on I found myself practicing more not totally just to get better at Spanish, but to get more XP(if you've done Duolingo you know what I mean;) and thus be better than others because I was doing more than they were. Actually I ashamedly say that I half didn't want to stop when the summer came just because then they would get ahead of me. I know...I am quite prideful. ;/ Yes, this is embarrassing to share. ;D But the point is that my motive for doing more Spanish was wrong. Learning Spanish is a completely honorable thing to do, but I was doing it for the wrong reasons. I'll continue this next school year, but I'm going to be extremely careful that when I practice I'm not doing it to show off or be prideful of what I accomplished, but that I will work hard to learn it so that I honor Jesus and can use that skill for him...not so I can show off to my friends. 
~
So I want to really encourage you to check your motives before you join a soccer team, write a blog post, play an instrument, write a letter, go to an event...do anything! ;)  Ask yourself "Why am I doing this?" Am I doing it to honor Jesus and to love and serve others or am I doing it so I am put in a higher place...so I look better or Jesus looks better?"

I hope this post encouraged and challenged you to think more about your motives! In writing this I've thought of a few things I need to "check out" in the area of motives. *embarrassed grin* ;)

See you on Friday for my "June Wrap Up" post! How can it be almost July already??? Yikes! =D It's getting so exciting for many reasons! ;)


 

12 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful post, Hannah! I think that we all are doing some things from the wrong motives, so we need to be reminded about this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily! Your comments are always so sweet. <3

      Delete
  2. Yes, I struggle with having the correct motives for my actions too.. But thanks for this post, it's something I need to keep in mind, and test all my actions by. Thanks for being vulnerable and sharing from your own experience too - it does make it more relate-able.

    I also remembered that I didn't comment on your 'Tag Bundle' post, so excuse how late I am, and thank you so much for tagging me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouraging comment, Jessica!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles with it and is constantly evaluating my motives. Your thoughts are so good!

      Ad no problem. =) You're welcome!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful post, Hannah! Definitely something I have to keep in mind. (also, no need to be too embarrassed; I've ... done the exact some thing you did. Multiple times *sheepish grin*.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Savannah! And thank you for encouraging me that I'm not the only one. ;) And I've done this kind of thing many times too. *impish grin* ;)

      I love reading your comments!!

      Delete
  4. Great post! I just wanted to let you know that I am back blogging again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kiley! And that is wonderful that you are blogging again! =)

      Delete
  5. Aah, this is a great post and reminder! It's important for me to remember this when I'm scrolling through twitter... again... and again... and again. Whoops. xD

    (also, I totally agree. How come July came so soon?? I haven't even started my monthly highlights post. Ack. :P)

    // katie grace
    a writer's faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katie! And yes, I totally know what you mean, lol! ;)

      I KNOW. How can it be July??? =) And yes, I am scrambling to get my posts ready as well. ;)

      Thank you for commenting Katie! I've loved your recent blog posts!

      Delete
  6. Hey Hannah! I featured this post on my Featured Friday post right here: http://spreadingmyjoy.blogspot.com/2016/07/featured-friday-7116.html

    Thanks, just thought I'd let you know! :)

    Allie D.
    www.alliesblogdesigns.blogspot.com
    www.friendlovesatalltimes.blogspot.com
    www.sevenbloggersandtheirdolls.blogspot.com
    www.sincerelyallied.blogspot.com
    www.spreadingmyjoy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you so much Allie!!! You are super sweet. ;)

      Delete

I absolutely love getting comments! They always put a smile on my face, happiness in my heart, and making blogging totally worth it, so I would love if you would comment and tell me what you think!

I ask only that every word you say is completely appropriate and completely honors God. Thank you so much! :)