7.02.2016

Writerly Advice

Welcome to the month of July! 

I can't believe that it's already here. (have i said that before?;) This month, like I said, is going to be an amazing, wonderful, fun, awesome month and here's a writers post to kick it off! I have collected some authors or soon-to-be authors writing advice for this post and I hope you enjoy it and our encouraged. The last 2 are authors that I just liked their advice so I don't in any way know if they write good stuff. ;) The first 4 are amazing authors though and you should totally go read their books!!! 




" If God has gifted you with words, don't ignore that gift. Whether you are working toward publication or not, write for Him. Don't ever forget that it is Him, and only Him, you write for. If you try to write for readers, you will disappoint every time. 1 Peter 4:10 says "Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms." So write for Christ, give him the glory, and don't worry about what others think!"


-Ivy Rose, author of The Old River Road

"Decide who your audience is!  Basically, you should know who you are aiming your writings at.  How old will your readers be?  Are they mainly girls/boys?  What books do they like best?  What might they be struggling with currently that you could address as you write?  If you have some ideas, then you can direct your words to fit into what your readers need!  There will be more chances of them LOVING what you wrote and of it impacting their life forever!
Pray before writing!  Every time I sit down to write a chapter of my novel, I try to remember to pray.  Ask God for direction for whatever it is that you are creating.  I've noticed that the times I DO pray, my writing is a lot better than the times when I DON'T pray.  So take the extra minute to ask God what He wants in your novel/short story/blog post before you write it!  You'll be very glad that you did. =)"

-Hosanna Emily, author of The Mystery of the Midnight Trespasser   
 "Have your work critiqued, and critique other writer's work. Honestly, besides reading and writing consistently, critiquing has been the greatest asset in my writing. 
Critiquing other's manuscripts have allowed me to look at writing with a critical eye. See how stories form and know what works and what doesn't.
Having my manuscript critiqued has helped me improve my writing. Know what my strengths and weaknesses are. Understand what's helpful in critiques so I can apply that to my own beta journeys.
It's a scary process, but definitely beneficial, and something that has made me the writer I am."
-Katie Grace, A Writer's Faith 

 "The best piece of advice I could ever share from what I've learned is to first and foremost seek God. Seek God for the ideas He would have you to share. Seek Him about what to include in the story. Seek Him about how and when to publish. When I was getting ready to jump into the self-publishing world, I heard a sermon which really helped. The preacher mentioned the different battles fought in the Old Testament, and how God had different battle plans for different battles. Likewise, God has different plans for our lives. There are a lot of things we can learn from fellow authors about how to do things but ultimately, we need to seek God for what HE would have us to do."
-Amanda Tero, author of Journey to Love 

 “10 Steps to Becoming a Better Writer

Write.
Write more.
Write even more.
Write even more than that.
Write when you don’t want to.
Write when you do.
Write when you have something to say.
Write when you don’t.
Write every day.
Keep writing.”
- Brian Clark

 “If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.”

- Benjamin Franklin


And there you go! There's some writing advice that I hope helps you today to write better. My advice(which is from a very beginning writer;) would be to not get yourself stressed over writing, don't compare your writing with others, and e.n.j.o.y. Writing can be so stressful when you have big goals, but enjoy the journey, don't be too critical of yourself, and do it for Jesus! 

4 comments:

  1. Some great advice here! I especially also like the "pray before writing." It's an important thing to do.

    Thanks for including mine and linking to my blog! <3

    // katie grace
    a writer's faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katie! =) Yes, Hosanna's advice was excellent!!

      You're welcome! You had great advice as well!!

      Delete
  2. All of this is excellent advice, Hannah! What a great idea for a post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! All these authors had great advice. =)

      Delete

I absolutely love getting comments! They always put a smile on my face, happiness in my heart, and making blogging totally worth it, so I would love if you would comment and tell me what you think!

I ask only that every word you say is completely appropriate and completely honors God. Thank you so much! :)