9.10.2016

An Undivided Heart

Happy Saturday!
As you probably have noticed, I got a new design! It's actually technically the same one as was on "Radiant", but I added a header and some different pages so it looks a bit different. I like it a lot and I hope you'll enjoy it as well! :) One thing I want to mention is that I'm having some trouble with my new blog showing up on your blogger feed, but you can fix that by just unfollowing and re-following the blog. Just wanted to let you know! :) Oh! And if you didn't get this post through your email (if you're subscribed that way) I'm working on transferring the blog feed and it should be good by my next post. A lot to learn, but I'm so excited! :) And the name "Becoming Lost" comes from the book "Get Lost". I loved that book so much and it really showed me how we should get completely lost in God. It was a book for single girls, but I think it applies to anyone at any stage of life.  Being lost in God is something we should all strive to become. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the new changes and looks! :) Now, before I jump into this post I want to say that this post and this vision for living came from one of Leslie Ludy's teachings called an Undivided Heart. All of this is my words (except what is quoted), but it is based off those teachings. Another things I would like to say is I do not have an undivided heart. That is my goal and something that I'm sharing with you all, but I have certainly not reached this and am still working through in my own life what this really looks like. But I hope you are encouraged by this post and catch the vision of living life with an undivided heart!


The cross of Jesus Christ should transform every area of our daily life. 
Should influence our every thought and decision. 
Should keep us captured with him.
-Leslie Ludy

Isn't that your desire? I would think a lot of Christians would say that is their goal. To be forever transformed and influenced in every decision by Jesus. To be completely captured with Him. And yet how many of us could say the cross has really done that? Sure, when we became a Christian we were transformed, but every day of our life. Every decision?

In this day and age there are a lot of distractions. I mean everywhere you look. Phone calls, texts, emails, Pinterest, Facebook, movies, books, friendships, social engagements, personal ambitions and desires. These are not all bad things and yet they can get out of control.The world tells us we need to keep up with everything. Take a break, be entertained. The world tells us to follow ours hearts, pursue our dreams. It tells us we can't be happy until we have friends, are in a relationship, and all our dreams are fulfilled. 

So...what is the solution?

 I think it's found in Psalms. 


Teach me your way, Lord,
    that I may rely on your faithfulness;
give me an undivided heart,
    that I may fear your name.
Psalm 86:11


Give me an undivided heart. That is the theme of this post. But what really is an undivided heart? I think an undivided heart is "a heart united towards a singular purpose; focused on a singular point; undistracted" To get an undivided heart we must turn our eyes from other things and fix them on something.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, 
let us strip off every weight that slows us down, 
especially the sin that so easily trips us up. 
And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.
Hebrews 12:1


How many times have I heard this verse? A lot of times. ;) And yet I never really noticed the part of the verse that says "strip off every weight that slows us down". What does that really mean? I think it means that we take away everything that is slowing us down from running the race. From fixing our eyes on Jesus. But you're probably thinking "does that mean I should throw away my computer and phone and go live in a wilderness where there's no people and "just focus my gaze on Jesus". Haha. ;) Nope. I don't feel that would be the right thing to do. Another thing that you may be thinking is "Okay. I know I should read my Bible and pray more and so I'm just going to do an hour of bible reading and an hour of prayer. That should "focus my gaze on Jesus". Welll...that probably won't work. Because what about every hour that you're not reading the Bible and praying. Wouldn't that be filled with distractions that cause your gaze to stray? So what's the answer?

Replace trivial things with eternal things

What if instead of just having a movie night we had prayer nights? Or watched really impacting movies and not just a "sweet" or "good" movie?

What if we spent extremely limited time on internet and when we were on did things that actually glorified God? And with all the time that we used to spend on the internet we used it to be studying the Bible or serving others?

What if instead of writing blog posts that pointed to ourselves and patted ourselves on the back or just talked about us we instead tried to write posts that completely pointed to Him?

What if instead of reading "good" or "nice" stories we read amazing Christian books that impact our lives?

What if we lived the life we talk about living?

How different our lives would be! How much deeper do you think we would fall in love with Jesus and focus our gaze on Him each and every day when we exchanged trivial things for eternal things?

Now don't misread this as me telling you it's wrong to watch a "sweet" movie or read a "good" book. I'm not saying that this is completely wrong, but how much more could we walk in Jesus' steps if we didn't spend most of our time on trivial things even if they're not bad. We still have to do school, we still have to do chores, and we still have to do some things on the internet, but what if we cut out everything we possibly could so that we can focus on Jesus more? How radically changed our lives would be?


 You make known to me the path of life;

    in your presence there is fullness of joy;

    at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

Psalm 16:11


Are we willing to let him prove that in His presence is fullness of joy?


It is worthwhile living for the world to come.
C.T. Studd 

And how many times do we forget that...

Facebook will not last...
Popularity will not last...
Pinterest will not last...
Goodreads will not last...
Blogging will not last...
Email will not last...
Books will not last...
Movies will not last...

So what will last? The life that is lived with eternity in mind. The life that has impacted tons of people by the love that they showed. The life that has served tons of people. The life that was focused on Jesus every day and every moment. That is the life that will last.

An undivided heart says there is no sacrifice too great for the one who
gave everything for me.
-Leslie Ludy

16 comments:

  1. Hannah, I've been thinking over and over about a different analogy these past few days. Different analogy, but I believe it's the same concept. I've been thinking about living for my own "kingdom" (everything that serves my purposes and pleases me) versus living for God's Kingdom. I don't even have to think in order to live for the advancement of my own kingdom. It's what I do by default. That said, I shouldn't excuse living for my kingdom. Christ died for me so that I could start living for His Kingdom. He *died* for me. That's a HUGE deal. So count me in with you as we try together to take our eyes off the trivial and focus them on the eternal -- all for God's glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is super similar Jordy! I love your analogy too!! I totally agree with what you're saying. I love the part where you said he *died* for me. That is a HUGE deal for someone to die for you and so shouldn't we do everything we possibly can to honor and glorify Him?

      I'll definitely count you in! I'm excited to see other young people(and not-so-young people) catching this vision of living without so many distractions!

      Delete
  2. Wow, Hannah. I LOVE this post. I've been thinking about this too, lately, since I read Leslie Ludy's book. I can't wait to read more of them, if they're all that good!

    Definitely something I need to remember and work on. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Emily!! ♥ YES, I'm so glad you read that book. Her books are probably some of the most challenging books I've ever read. And they're definitely all that good!

      I need to work on this too! A lot... Thank you so much for reading! I really really appreciate all your support and encouragement. ♥

      Delete
  3. OH MY GOSH YOUR NEW BLOG IS GORGEOUS. And this post is completely and absolutely amazing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Hannah!!! Your comment totally made me smile. :) ♥

      Delete
  4. HANNAH. Your blog design!!! I LOVE it! And your title is amazing...your post is AMAZING...YOU are amazing, girl! I'm sure God is going to do great things with your life!!
    -Ariel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Ariel!! Your comment...*sniff*...totally made my day. These sort of comments make blogging totally worth it. You are amazing too, girl!!! God is using you right now to bless people with your beautiful comments. ♥♥♥

      Delete
  5. The new design is nice, Hannah! And this post was thought-provoking. I like the point that we ought to replace trivial things with eternal things. That's definitely something I need to focus on - and to remember that it's eternity that matters. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica! Yes, I've found that replacing "trivial" with "eternal" is so helpful. I think we often think we need to add more Jesus when sometimes we really need to take out more of the world in our lives. (and add more Jesus too, but...:)

      I need to remember it so much as well! Thank you for all your thoughtful comments!!

      Delete
  6. I just refollowed you..your new blog and design is gorgeous!! <3

    sarah » the introverted extrovert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you Sarah!!!

      And by the way, your profile pic is sooo pretty. <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  7. Great post!
    I really like your new blog look, Hannah! :) It's so pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebekah!! I love it too. ♥

      Delete
  8. Lovely post Hannah. =) It sounds very familiar. ;)

    Because I'm reading a book by Leslie Ludy, I have also been thinking a lot about this. It's very thought-provoking. Jesus wants ALL of us. Not just our Bible time and Sundays...every single part of our life!

    I hope you don't mind if I write a blog post a little bit similar...I was thinking about it before I read yours. ;) hehe

    //Hosanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hosanna!! Haha, I bet it does. ;)

      And yes, I completely agree! I think we tend to give Him certain parts of our days when we should constantly be replacing trivial with eternal and focusing on Him.

      And no I don't mind at all! I'll be excited to read it. =)

      Thank you for commenting, Hosanna!

      Delete

I absolutely love getting comments! They always put a smile on my face, happiness in my heart, and making blogging totally worth it, so I would love if you would comment and tell me what you think!

I ask only that every word you say is completely appropriate and completely honors God. Thank you so much! :)