9.03.2016

Prayer: An Unused Yet Powerful Weapon

A huge welcome back to all my readers!!!
I missed you all and am very excited to get back to blogging! I had a wonderful trip with my family though and am loving getting back to routine + school. :)

 I have one important announcement before I jump into this post though. I'm changing my blog name and design! That is something that I've thought on and wanted to do for a little while and so it should be changed by next Saturday. You might have noticed that I've changed some things on here and that's just for now until my new blog design is published. (yeah my colors don't coordinate very well, do they?;) So here is my new address (as of 9.10.16:) - becoming-lost.blogspot.com. Make sure to write that down so next time you want to look at my blog you won't go to the wrong one. :) But, for a few weeks I will have my new blog address on this blog (the design and all will automatically move. It's not a new blog, just a name change. But I will get this blog address back and have my new address on that page. Oh! And for all you who have signed up through email and followed through Google you will be automatically moved to the new address. Am I making sense?:)  So...that's the news and I'll be explaining the new name, design, etc on my next post!


Anyway...let's dig into this Saturdays post:





Prayer. It's something we all need. It's something we hear a lot about. It's something we're told to do. It's something we're commanded to do. It's something that we struggle to find important.


Maybe two months ago I was really struggling with this area of prayer. I knew God commanded it. I had sure heard a lot of people say I should do it. And I had seen a lot of miracles through it. But it just seemed confusing. I mean if God already knows our every thought and need why do we have to tell Him? Why would it matter? Isn't it a waste of our time?


Not too long after I started struggling with this I found a passage in the Bible that really helped me. 



Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. 2 He said: “In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared what people thought. 3 And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, ‘Grant me justice against my adversary.’
4 “For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, ‘Even though I don’t fear God or care what people think,5 yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won’t eventually come and attack me!’”
6 And the Lord said, “Listen to what the unjust judge says.7 And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? 8 I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?”

(Luke 18:1-8)

I think it is really hard to know how prayer effects things, but the fact is we don't know how things are in the spiritual realm. We're fighting a battle when we pray and we don't know how it effects things. I think this is really important to think about when prayer seems like it just doesn't matter. Some things (like prayer) we have to trust God that He knows why. We do it because he told us to and he knows.

Nevertheless, a few days ago I read a chapter on prayer in a book I'm going through that I thought had some really good points. I'll share them here:
  • ** God does not want us to pray so that he can find out what we need. Jesus says "Your father knows what you need before you ask" (Matt. 6:8)
  • Instead God wants us to pray so our dependance on Him increases. When we come to him in prayer about something we express a trust in him, a trust that he will hear and answer our prayers. 
  • He also desires that (through prayer) our love for him and our relationship with him will deepen and grow...this is something that God delights in and brings him glory. 
  • When we ask for things in prayer, God often responds to those prayers...our failure to ask God for things is often the reason we do not receive what he delights to give us. James says " You do not have, because you do not ask" (James 4:2)
  • Scripture gives many examples of God responding, even changing the way he acts, in response to the prayers of individuals. For example, the Lord told Moses he would destroy the people of Israel for their sin, Moses responded with the following prayer "Turn from your burning anger and relent from this disaster against your people". In response, "the Lord, relented from the disaster that he had spoken of bringing on his people" (Ex. 32:14)
  • Praying according to Gods will often requires humility on our part, for it requires that we pray not simply for what we desire but instead for what God desires.
  • When our prayers aren't answered, we join the company of men like Jesus and Paul whose prayers were not answered. Even Jesus, before he was crucified, asked his Father to "remove this cup" from him. But his humility and submission to God's will our evident in the second part of his prayer: "Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done" (Luke 22:42) **
These are a little jumbled, but I think they really help me to understand prayer better and why we do it. I hope you feel the same way! Prayer is a hard topic because we honestly don't know how everything works, but it's so important in living for Jesus!

I hope you were encouraged by this post, as I was by writing it, and you have a new passion for prayer!

**These quotes are taken from the book "Christian Beliefs" by Wayne A. Grudem**

22 comments:

  1. Wow, this was encouraging, Hannah! <3 Prayer is definitely something that is misused and misunderstood a lot. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on it.

    So glad you're back in the blogging world! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily!! Yes, it is misunderstood and misused so much. You're totally right.

      Aw, I'm so glad too! So thankful for all your sweet comments, girl! ♥

      Delete
  2. This was an encouraging post, Hannah! :) Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us! :)

    Welcome back! I'm glad you had a nice break! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca!! :) And you're welcome. It's my pleasure!

      Aw, thanks! I did have a wonderful break. How was your summer?? Have you started school yet?

      Thank you for all your encouraging comments!!

      Delete
    2. That's great that you had a wonderful break! :) My summer was great, thanks for asking, Hannah! :) It was pretty busy, but still fun. ;) How was your summer?
      I actually have graduated, but my younger brothers started school up this week. :)

      Delete
    3. I'm glad it was good!! I understand about being busy. I had lots of relaxing time, but never a moment where I didn't really know what to do. ;) And it was good!! I got a lot done which I was happy about. Thank you for asking!

      You've graduated?? Wow, I didn't know! That's really cool! Are you going to be going to college?

      Delete
    4. I had some nice relaxing times too, but yeah, not really a moment where I didn’t know what to do. ;)

      Yes, I have. :) No, I’m not planning on college. Right now I’m actually teaching the violin. :)

      Delete
    5. Yes, I agree. :)

      That's okay that you're not going to collage! I think it's a big pressure in this day and age, but really I think it should only be if God leads a person to and not just because society pressures us to. That is really cool that you're teaching violin! Keep up the amazing work!

      Delete
  3. These are great thoughts, especially because I've been thinking a lot about prayer. I know that it's important...but I still struggle to make it a daily - no, an minute-by-minute - habit. =) It does deepen our relationship with God, and THAT is what's important!

    I'm very excited to see your new blog design. Why must you make us wait? =P Lol!

    //Hosanna Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miss Hosanna! I completely understand. For me as well I know it's important and should do it...but well...it takes a lot of work to make it a habit. It is important though, like you said, to remind ourselves that we're doing it to draw closer to Him!!

      Thank you! I'm excited to show it to you. ;) I know, I know...I really like to make you wait don't I?? ***another secret*** hehe. ;D

      Thank you for all your comments, MHTL!!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful post, Hannah! Thank you for posting it! Can't wait to see your new blog :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Savannah!! Missed you, girl! ♥ Can't wait to show you it! =))

      Delete
  5. It's nice to see you back, Hannah! :)

    I like the points you brought up here - especially that last one saying when we we feel our prayers aren't answered we join the company of Jesus and Paul - that's so convicting and encouraging to think about!

    I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts, and seeing the new blog of course! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jessica! I missed all of you guys a lot. :)

      Yes, I loved that quote too! It is so powerful to remember that Jesus also asked for the cup to pass from him, but he still had to bear the weight of sin and Paul asked 3 times for his ''
      thorn''to pass, but Jesus answered that His grace was sufficient! Wow.

      Aw, I'm excited for you guys to see it as well! Thank you for commenting Jessica!!

      Delete
  6. Excited for the new blog! I love all of your highlights on this subject. It's hard to become confused about prayer and what your prayer-life should look like. Passages about prayer in the Bible have really helped me.

    Have a great week! :)

    Can't wait to read more posts!

    With love and all joy,
    Allie D.
    www.alliesblogdesigns.blogspot.com
    www.friendlovesatalltimes.blogspot.com
    www.sincerelyallied.blogspot.com
    www.spreadingmyjoy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Allie!! :) Yes, I completely agree. It is easy to get confused on what our prayer lives should look like. Like should we be praying 24/7 or should we just have a mindset of prayer...or?...do you have any thoughts on that?

      And yes, scripture really does help!!!

      Thank you for commenting! Welcome back to my blog!

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed this blog post! Prayer is definitely powerful, yet so unused, and also confusing at times! :) I really love the Bible verses and quotes that you shared, though! "Christian Beliefs" sounds like it has a lot of great points! Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, prayer really is so powerful yet unused! It certainly can be confusing too to know how, when, and why we pray. And it's easy for those questions to hold us up from praying which I'm learning isn't good. ;) And yes, Christian Beliefs has some great quotes and good points! I'm enjoying going through it.

      You're welcome! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  8. Hannah, those are some good points from that book. But I especially appreciate that - before sharing them - you made your own point that we really don't know what's going on in the spiritual realm. Sometimes I think I can understand everything if I try hard enough. But maybe there are some things that we're not meant to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are SO right, Jordy! I feel like we often forget that we're fighting a battle through prayer and we don't know how our prayers effect things, but if God has commanded us to it must have some real effects. And yes, I totally feel the same way! I want to know what's going on and understand everything, but it's so important to learn to rest in Him and the knowledge that He gives us.

      You have some really good thoughs, Jordy! Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  9. This was a very encouraging post, Hannah! Thank you so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Blessing! I'm glad you were encouraged. Prayer is such a hard yet amazing topic to talk about and share how our prayers have been answered!

      Thank you for commenting!!

      Delete

I absolutely love getting comments! They always put a smile on my face, happiness in my heart, and making blogging totally worth it, so I would love if you would comment and tell me what you think!

I ask only that every word you say is completely appropriate and completely honors God. Thank you so much! :)