10.29.2016

Powerful Modesty

Hello again!

Today's post is a bit of a controversial and difficult topic, but I decided to post on it anyways. It's a harder one because I wouldn't say there's a "fine line" for it, but it's a super important topic. The topic for this post as you probably saw is modesty...:)






What Is Modesty?

Dicitonary.com defines it (the kind of modesty we're talking about) as "a regard for decency of behavior, speech, dress, etc"  So in other word's when we dress modestly we're having a regard for decency specifically in the area of clothes.



Is It Biblical?

Yes, it actually is biblical! =) 1 Timothy 2:9 says: 

"...I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety..." It clearly says for women to dress modestly as a way we can honor God and bring glory to Him. Also think about from the beginning...before Adam and Eve sinned they were naked and were not ashamed...after they sinned their nakedness became shameful. 
“Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked. And they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves loincloths.” 
What did God do? 
“And the Lord God made for Adam and for his wife garments of skins and clothed them.” 
---♥---
"It all started after sin entered the world. Notice that Adam and Eve grabbed some fig leaves and tried to cover themselves. What did God do? He killed an animal by the shedding of blood and clothed them with skins. Their fig leaves wouldn’t do. “Without the shedding of blood there is no remission’ [of sin].” (Hebrews 9:22)
“God was illustrating to Adam and Eve that there had to be payment for their sin. In covering them, He was showing them that there had to be death and bloodshed to take away their sin. The clothing of Adam and Eve is a picture of the Gospel.” – Ken Ham

Did you catch that last line? The clothing of Adam and Eve is a picture of the gospel.

Think about it. From the time that God killed the animal in the garden and covered Adam and Eve, clothing became a symbol of what Christ did for our sins. Christ had to shed His blood on the cross to clothe us in His righteousness and save us from an eternity in Hell.
Clothes are soooooo much bigger than “just being modest.” Clothes are a picture of the gospel! Clothing is a constant reminder of what Christ did for us and the price that He paid for our sin. Clothing is a representation of Christ shedding His blood to save us."
-Bethany Baird, Girl Defined - The Naked Truth About Why We Wear Clothes
---♥---

Where Do We Draw The Line?


This is where it gets hard, tricky, and difficult. No where in the Bible does God have a "fine line" for modesty. And so I think it does somewhat depend to what each person is convicted on. But I think there are some good, healthy guidelines. I think we should never just dress modestly for guys because God never commands that, but I think I would assume that that is one of the reasons He did command it. So maybe asking some guys in your life...what clothing makes it harder/easier for you to honor God? Talk to your mom if she has modesty values and listen to what she has to say. From what I know(this is what I've gathered from talking to my Mom who has talked to guys about it) is that very tight clothing can be very hard for guys. Also swooping necklines, "short shorts", bikinis, clothing that shows a lot of cleavage, etc. And so I would say I try to not wear super tight pants(you don't need to where baggy pants though...;), shorts that don't come too much above the knee, for swimming swim shorts and a t-shirt, as well as shirts that aren't terribly tight, shirts that don't show too much cleavage, etc. That's just what I feel though. :) Now you might be thinking..."Goodness, I'm going to have to wear "Grandma clothes" to be modest." ;) No. No way. Modesty does not need to be frumpy or baggy and you don't have to look like your Grandma. ;) So how? Well, I've found this video super helpful for me in catching a vision of how modesty can be fun, fashionable, and cute. I hope you catch the same vision through it! 



Modesty should be a joy and privilege! We get to honor God with our bodies and bring glory to Him. People will notice that we're not dressing like the world and wonder...why? I hope that you will take up this challenge and catch the vision for fun, fashionable, and God honoring modesty! 

But always remember...


An undivided heart says there is no sacrifice too great for the one who
gave everything for me.
-Leslie Ludy

14 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful post, Hannah! :D
    I definitely agree with the stuff that you mentioned about modesty. Dressing modestly is important and it sound like we have pretty much the same views on it. :) That video that you shared had some really cute ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rebekah! <3

      I'm so glad you have the same view of modesty! It is so important like you said. And yes, that video is pretty cute, right? It's made me think more creatively! :)

      Thank you for all of your sweet, sweet comments, Rebekah!

      Delete
  2. I love that you included stuff from Girl Defined. They've been a great source of encouragement to me in the past. I also think that modesty is (or should be) a joy and privilege. It's such a simple way to be set apart from the world for God's Kingdom. Love xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that's awesome you read their stuff too! They are such sweet girls with a passion for God and honoring Him. And you're so right. I think we can easily get into the habit of just "doing it" and not doing it joyfully to honor Him! And you're so right...it should set us apart from other's for God's kingdom. I think that can also help us in the "grey areas"...like is this something that most of the world wears as well...because for most things (like pants) I would think that what the world wears is not modest in God's eyes and so we can think...is that just like what the world wears or is this different...looser, higher neckline, etc? Not that that's just how we should judge things, but it can be helpful...=)

      You have such wonderful thoughts, Jordy!

      Delete
  3. Great post!! I agree. Modesty is something that can be really hard to go by at times, especially when you see all of those cute outfits but you would never feel right wearing them.

    Love this post, thank you for sharing, Hannah! :) ♥

    ~Megan<333
    (megans-journals.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Megan! And yes totally...it's especially hard when you see others wearing those cute outfits, but you know they don't honor God...it's something I struggle with a lot as well!

      Thank you so much Megan!! You're the sweetest. ♥

      Delete
  4. I loved the long chats that we had over this issue, Hannah. I never thought about modesty in some of these ways, but it is very true. =) I think we often dress modestly because it's what we do...instead of deliberately "honoring God with our bodies." Thanks for the reminder. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they were very wonderful and helpful!! I think just going back and forth and challenging each other in thinking of this topic in different ways was very helpful. And yes, that is very true! I think we can get in the rut of "just doing it" and not doing it joyfully and purposefully! Thank YOU for challenging me in this area, Hosanna!

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful post, Hannah! Modesty is such an important topic, and you did a great job with this post! <3
    And thanks for sharing that video! GirlDefined stuff is always good. ;) I'm going to watch it right away. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Emily! You're so sweet. :) And yes, it is such an important topic and one that is hard to talk about because of so many views on it. I'm so blessed though to have friends (like you!) who have similar standards as I do! <3

      And that's awesome you watched the video! What'd you think of it?

      Delete
  6. Wow, I'd never thought of clothing being a representation of the gospel before! That's powerful! I shall be keeping that in mind. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had never thought of that either until I read it on their blog! It is so powerful to think about!!

      You're welcome! Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Jessica!

      Delete
  7. This is so great, Hannah! I agree with all of these points! :)

    Have a great day!

    With love and all joy,
    Allie D.
    www.alliesblogdesigns.blogspot.com
    www.friendlovesatalltimes.blogspot.com
    www.sincerelyallied.blogspot.com
    www.spreadingmyjoy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you Allie! It's so wonderful to be finding others who have the same view of modesty. :)

      Have a great day as well!

      Delete

I absolutely love getting comments! They always put a smile on my face, happiness in my heart, and making blogging totally worth it, so I would love if you would comment and tell me what you think!

I ask only that every word you say is completely appropriate and completely honors God. Thank you so much! :)