11.16.2016

Footprints: A Poem


Footprints
 (Mary Stevenson)

 One night I dreamed a dream.
 As I was walking along the beach with my Lord.
 Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life.
 For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand,
 One belonging to me and one to my Lord.

After the last scene of my life flashed before me,
 I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
 I noticed that at many times along the path of my life,
 especially at the very lowest and saddest times,
 there was only one set of footprints.
 This really troubled me, so I asked the Lord about it.

"Lord, you said once I decided to follow you,
 You'd walk with me all the way.
 But I noticed that during the saddest and most troublesome times of my life,
 there was only one set of footprints.
 I don't understand why, when I needed You the most, You would leave me."

He whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you
 Never, ever, during your trials and testings.
 When you saw only one set of footprints,
 It was then that I carried you."


 --------------♥--------------

 It was then that I carried you. The thought brings tears to my eyes. Through the hardest times...when we feel so alone, God is carrying us in His arms. I think of one of my favorite verses that shows the tenderness He shows to each one of us "He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young." (Isaiah 40:11) Whatever trial you're going through, whatever suffering you're facing, don't ever forget that you are held by Him...he's carrying you.


"You will be safe in His arms. You will be safe in His arms
The hands that hold the world are holding your heart
This is the promise He made, He will be with you always
When everything is falling apart, you will be safe in His arms"
 Safe - Phil Whickham

14 comments:

  1. I love that poem. Such a beautiful reminder, Hannah! :)

    With love and all joy,
    Allie D.
    www.alliesblogdesigns.blogspot.com
    www.friendlovesatalltimes.blogspot.com
    www.sincerelyallied.blogspot.com
    www.spreadingmyjoy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allie! It is so beautiful, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. When I was six or seven, mum told me this before going to sleep. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that's so sweet, Jordy! :)

      Delete
  3. Woooaah....that's powerful stuff right there. This was an awesome poem!! (oh, and btw, I just saw the conversation that you, Jordy, Jessica, and Hosanna had back there a couple posts ago...can't believe I missed out on joining that! =( It's so awesome to be part of this community of girls who are passionate about sharing the Gospel, though! ♥)
    -Ariel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is so powerful! When I first read it I had to just be in awe...God is so amazing isn't he? ♥

      Oh, and no problem at all! It was very fun to have discussion about sharing the gospel on so many blogs! =) I love, love, love being a part of this community too!

      Thank you for commenting, Ariel!

      Delete
  4. I know that I've seen Footprints before...but I forgot how it ended. When I read it, I mentally tried to discover what the ending would be like. But this poem caught me completely off-guard. That is so, so beautiful. It makes me want to cry and laugh and praise God for His wonderful love. ♥ The last stanza...!

    "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you
    Never, ever, during your trials and testings.
    When you saw only one set of footprints,
    It was then that I carried you."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It really does catch you off guard and makes you want to cry...it's such a beautiful thought!! Wow.

      ♥♥♥

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful poem! I know I've seen it before, but I had forgotten how powerful it was. Thanks for sharing, Hannah! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, Emily! I'd seen it before too, but just was reminded at how powerful it was as well. And you're back! *squeals* I missed you!!

      Delete
  6. Oooh, I saw a notebook with this poem on it and thought it was gorgeous. Thank you for sharing this, Hannah! I love it <3

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it seems they have everything with this poem on it...xD You're so welcome! I love it too! ♥

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, I've also seen a notebook with this poem. It was on the front cover!

      Delete
    3. Oh, really? That is cool!

      Delete

I absolutely love getting comments! They always put a smile on my face, happiness in my heart, and making blogging totally worth it, so I would love if you would comment and tell me what you think!

I ask only that every word you say is completely appropriate and completely honors God. Thank you so much! :)