12.14.2016

8 Impactful People + Sad Announcement

Happy Wednesday! 
I am going to be having another post in the "Impactful" series, but first I'm making a big, sad, yet good announcement. Starting from February I'm no longer going to be blogging. This is something that I've thought and prayed a lot about and feel a real peace about doing. I'll share a few reasons here (not to justify myself, but just so you know:)

1. I feel God is calling me to really step out from online things and focus on things here. Possibly getting more involved in our church, starting a girls group, being more intentional with international friends, or volunteering someplace. I feel very excited about this step away from online and to where I live and also feel an amazing peace that it's time.

2. I feel like I've shared on most "big" topics. This is not a huge reason as I know I'll always be learning and growing, but I do feel like I've been able to talk about so many aspects of the Christian life and hopefully encourage you all. 

And there's some little reasons, but mainly #1. I feel God is calling me to step back from online things and get more involved here. I'm not sure what that will look like, but I'm excited to see what he will do! I'm not planning to delete my blog and so feel free anytime to look back at old posts and if you want to ask me something or just check in anytime I'll keep my contact form up for that. I'll still be reading and commenting on the blogs that I follow and so you'll still see me around, but I won't be blogging anymore. But, I will still be blogging for almost another 2 months and so it's not quite so soon. But I wanted to give you all a heads up just so I don't shock you. :) I'll miss you all very much! 

Anyway, let's move on to happier topics such as impacting people. :) I got this great idea from a friend and I'm excited to share with you some people that have impacted me and if you'd like to read more about them you can check out the books/movies about them. Enjoy!



Corrie Ten Boom
This may be my favorite missionary of all time! Corrie grew up in the Netherlands and her family hid Jews during World War II. For that reason they were captured and sent to a concentration camp. And yet through endless persecution, death of her family members, and so much more she continued to trust God. And when she was miraculously released she traveled the world sharing her story and once when she was telling her story, a man who had been especially cruel to her and her sister in the concentration camps, came up and asked her forgiveness and she forgave him. She is such an amazing example and inspiration. 

There is a movie about her life called "The Hiding Place" as well as two books written about her life by her called "Tramp for the Lord" and "The Hiding Place". 

Leslie Ludy

Leslie has been so impacting to me! Her beautiful love story and how she and her husband remained pure has inspired me as well as her amazing commitment to Jesus Christ. She (as well as her husband) have written many amazing books. Here are a few of hers...

Authentic Beauty
Answering the Guy Questions 
Set Apart Femininity 
The Lost Art of True Beauty 

Elizabeth and Jim Elliot

These two are such amazing examples! First, how they waited so long to finally get married and were committed to Jesus Christ first. And then their sacrifice as Jim was in so much danger from the Auca's, but he wanted to reach them and was eventually speared because of it. Then how Elizabeth went in and actually lived with the tribe who killed her husband and loved and forgave them. It's such an amazing story! Many books have told their story, but here are a few that Elizabeth has wrote:

Through Gates of Splendor
Let Me Be a Woman
Passion and Purity
Shadow of the Almighty 

Lillian Trasher
Lillian is such an incredible woman! It was a week before she was to be married and she felt God calling her to be a missionary. So she called off the wedding and went to Egypt where she served for 50 years (through World War II) without a furlough. She started an orphanage which, when she died, had 1200 children and it continues to help children today. Here is a book about her life -

Lillian Trasher: The Greatest Wonder in Egypt

Eric Liddell
Eric Liddell grew up mostly in Scotland while his parents were missionaries in China. He became an amazing athlete and broke records in the Paris Olympics. However, even though he was incredibly popular he went back to China and served as a missionary until his death in a prison camp from a brain tumor.  There is a good movie about his life called Chariots of Fire. Also some books about his life are - 

Eric Liddel - Something Greater than Gold 
Complete Surrender - A Biography of Eric Liddell 
Eric Liddell: Pure Gold 


George Muller 
George Muller is known for his faith in God. He rescued many orphans and started a whole orphanage for them. He lived by faith and never asked people for money yet God provided in so many amazing ways. There's a very good movie on his life called Robber of the Cruel Streets. Here's a few books also-

George Mueller: The Guardian of Bristol's Orphans 
George Muller: The Children's Champion 
Robber of the Cruel Streets: The Prayerful Life of George Muller 

Sabina Wurmbrand 
I honestly haven't read a book about this lady, but from what I've heard she is a remarkable woman. Her and her husband were severely persecuted and endured so much and yet have a rock solid faith in God. They both started the ministry Voice of the Martyrs which is a really amazing ministry. 

She wrote one book called The Pastors Wife. 

Katie Davis 
Still young and serving the Lord today, Katie Davis is a remarkable women. She was everything in high school. Homecoming queen, class president, and top of her class. But around her 20's she left home and went to Uganda and started helping people there. She adopted 14 girls while single and now she's married and running Amazima ministries. 

She has written a book called Kisses from Katie which shares her story.

                                              --------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are all ordinary people with sin and weaknesses yet they all serve an extraordinary God with all they have and all they are. Let's be inspired. 

15 comments:

  1. We're all going to miss your posts so much, Hannah! *sobs* I've really enjoyed figuring out this blogging journey with you, and all the fun we've had with it. :D But I'm so glad that you've found where God wants you to be right now -even if it doesn't include blogging- and that's definitely the best place to be! ♥♥

    And it's always so nice to have a list of new and impactful people that we can learn about. Thanks for the list! :)

    Keep up the great work. Love you, girl! <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you Emily! *cries* I've loved figuring it out with you so much and it's been super fun. Thank you so much for all your encouragement!!

      This literally made tears come to my eyes. Love you so much! <333

      Delete
  2. aw, but I completely understand feeling like you need to step away..we'll sure miss you, Hannah! <33

    sarah » the introverted extrovert

    ReplyDelete
  3. *cries* And yet I totally understand...there are some things we just feel a peace in our heart about doing. I sure am glad you're following God's leading, and I'm also glad we can still chat through e-mailing! =)
    This was a great post, Hannah! I've read the stories of Eric Liddel, George Mueller, Corrie Ten Boom, and more of the people you mentioned--they certainly did impact this world for Christ.
    I hope you have a glorious Christmas season, my friend!
    -Ariel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Ariel!! And yes, I'm glad we can still keep in touch too! :)

      Yes, they are such amazing people, aren't they?

      Merry Christmas, dear!

      Delete
  4. I've been wanting to read some biographies of some missionaries and other faithful servants of God. This list gives me an idea about who I might want to read about on a human level, though I hope that they're all ultimately about God.

    And as the other girls expressed it will be sad to not have any new post from you as of February. But what would they be worth if they prevented you from investing you elsewhere, when elsewhere is where you feel God calling you to invest your time? May your choices please and honour Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you got some ideas from this list, Jordy! I know what you mean. I'd like to read some more biographies too!

      Wow. I really did not expect everyone to be so supportive of doing what God is leading me to do. That means so much! Thank you, Jordy, for being so encouraging!! <3

      Delete
  5. I'll miss you, Hannah! But if you feel God is leading you to stop blogging, then that's definitely the right choice ;).

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I've also been inspired by most of those people! I haven't heard of Lilian Trasher though, and her story sounds amazing - I'll have to check it out!

    Thanks for letting us know your future plans for your blog. I'll definitely miss your posts, but I really admire your heart to serve God in whatever area He calls you too, and I pray He richly blesses your offline ministry! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, neat! They are so inspiring, aren't they?

      You're sweet Jessica! I appreciate your encouragement a lot! <3

      Delete
  7. I'm going to miss you, Hannah!! I've enjoyed getting to know you a little bit. But I am glad that you are doing what you feel God is wanting you to do!!! <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I'm going to miss you too, Rebekah! *hugs* But I'm excited to move on too. :)
      Thank you so much for all your comments!!!

      Delete

I absolutely love getting comments! They always put a smile on my face, happiness in my heart, and making blogging totally worth it, so I would love if you would comment and tell me what you think!

I ask only that every word you say is completely appropriate and completely honors God. Thank you so much! :)