12.21.2016

The Better Part II



As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”
Luke 10: 38-42
 
Only one thing is needed. 

How many times do we forget what that one thing is? We get so busy, distracted, and worried, like Martha, that we forget that that one thing is Jesus. Time sitting at His feet. We get so busy serving Him that we forget Him and lose all our joy. We get worried, busy, and distracted, and push Him aside. "I'm just trying to serve you Lord!" We start to get angry and upset and we wonder why serving Him isn't giving us any joy. But what if we've gotten thing's in the wrong order. That seems to be what Jesus is saying. He's whispering to Martha to come and sit at his feet instead of being so busy and distracted. 

But isn't service important? 

Totally! Jesus clearly commands it many times in His word. So...why did Jesus rebuke Martha?   

" Martha's fault was not that she served, but that she forgot him and only remembered service." 

I think there is something to this. She forgot Him and only remembered service. I think this passage can really help us get things in perspective. From what I understand of this passage, Jesus seems to be saying that service is important, but not the most important thing. Only one thing is needed. And that wasn't what Martha was doing...rushing around, worried, busy, and distracted. It was what Mary was doing. Quietly sitting at His feet and listening to His every word. 

"Only one thing needed...and that was found in living room intimacy, not kitchen service. Serving Him is so important, but not the most important thing."

Waiting on Him To Reveal His Will
I'm going to talk more about service in my next post in this series, but I want to touch on something that Mrs. Weaver (in the book Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World) brought out and that really struck me. She was talking about how "While there are many things that need done, things that I'm capable of doing and want to do, I'm not always the one to do them." This really has been something God has been teaching me lately. How I'm not the one to fill every job, provide for every need, accept every opportunity. 

"I still tend to rush in, presuming to know his will rather than waiting to learn what he desires." 

Wow. I think that really freed me somehow. I'm not supposed to do everything. God is not calling me to accept every opportunity and become so busy I can't find time for Him. I'm so much like this. When an opportunity arises I just presume it's God's will, jump in and then later lose joy, and get worried and distracted. 

"But when we put that thing first (time with Jesus) he delights to reveal His will and our part in fulfilling it."

When we put Jesus time first. When we are still before the Lord and "Wait patiently for Him" he delights to reveal His will. When we rush into things without knowing that they are His will we can easily get worried, busy, and distracted instead of having joy in doing them and keeping our focus on Him. I don't want you to walk away from this post thinking you're just off the hook in serving Him and working hard, but I also want to encourage you to not rush into things. Be sure it is His will and then you can find delight in however you are serving Him because you know you are following His will for your life. 

Jesus is our anchor. Let us not ever think we don't have time for Him. Can we trust Him that if we make room in our life for Him, He can make room in our life for everything else? Let us put the "one thing" first and trust Him to reveal His will in all the other parts of our lives. 

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this post! Can you relate? Do you struggle with putting Jesus first in your life as well? Do you often rush into opportunities without being still and waiting on Him? (and if you do you're not alone:)

6 comments:

  1. Wow.... I love that quote- "while there are many things that need done, things that I'm capable of doing and want to do, I'm not always the one to do them"! I definitely think that that's a big problem for a lot of people, including me sometimes! If we realized what He wants us to be doing and do it the best we can, we would be assured that by doing that, we're doing what He really wants us to, because He's likely calling others to do other things!
    Thanks for sharing, Hannah! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love that quote so much too!! I think it really is freeing to think that we should just do the things that God is actually leading us to do and not try and "do it all" which is a tendency especially I think for women. I totally agree with your thoughts! "we would be assured that by doing that, we're doing what He really wants us to, because He's likely calling others to do other things!" I love that! <3

      Thank you for commenting, Emily! ♥♥♥

      Delete
  2. Can I just say, this post makes me think of the song "One Thing" by Hillsong?

    Yes, this is a very real, relatable struggle for me, too. I tend to get stuck serving and neglect the rest. The thing is, when I neglect the rest, I'm trying to do whatever I'm doing in my own strength. Whether I acknowledge it or not, I'm putting my hope in my own strength, not in His, and I'm seeking to honour myself, not Him.

    May we return to resting in Him and find our strength from quietness and trust in Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'm going to listen to that song very soon! It sounds amazing. :)

      Yes, I totally can relate! "I get stuck serving and neglect the rest" That is so true! Busyness is so easy to get sucked into(even doing things for Him!) and we all to easily forget the One who longs for time with us. We need it, but he desires it too. I love your thoughts on this!

      Together let us return to finding satisfaction, rest, and strength from time with Him. ♥

      Delete
  3. This was a really good reminder. =) So often, we feel like we aren't doing "enough" for Jesus...we think there must be more that we can do. And we end up with a lack of joy, always wanting to do more. Your post made me examine my own life. Are there ways that my serving is getting in the way of my relationship with Him? Hmm... =) This is very thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know! That is exactly what I have felt. And the concept really made me think of that same thing to. Could all my serving actually be getting in the way of the most important thing, my relationship with Him? It is a very challenging idea!

      Thank you for commenting, Hosanna and shining so brightly on your blog! ♥♥♥

      Delete

I absolutely love getting comments! They always put a smile on my face, happiness in my heart, and making blogging totally worth it, so I would love if you would comment and tell me what you think!

I ask only that every word you say is completely appropriate and completely honors God. Thank you so much! :)