1.04.2017

16 Things God Has Taught Me In 2016

2016 is over. 
Wow. I can't believe it! How can it be 2017?? And yet I'm so excited too! For me this coming year is going to probably be a year of a lot of change and so I'm looking forward to that (and scared of that:) and how God will use it to make me more like Him. But let me first take a look back. Emily had this awesome idea to share 16 things she learned in 2016 and so I'm going to copy her idea. :) Let me share what God's taught me this year...



1. God's plans don't usually make sense, but they are always better. How many times have I had to learn this? Things don't go the way I plan and I question God's wisdom...but he knows my future and sees things I don't. I just need to trust Him!

2. Comparison is one of the most awful traps to be caught in. Emily mentioned this too and this has been probably one of my biggest struggles this year. Comparing. I've learned though that two things happen when we compare. We either get prideful or jealous. Comparing yourself to others is never a good thing and it always leads to one of these two.

3. God is the only one who can truly satisfy you and never lets you down. Again and again I've tried to find satisfaction in people, things, and places and it just doesn't work. Jesus is the only one who can truly satisfy our every longing.

4. Jesus can give us peace in whatever we are going through. I have experienced this again and again. It's amazing how things can seem upside down and yet you can have this perfect peace in His plans.

5. We need to live for eternity and not for ourselves. I think I've learned this the most with blogging. It's so easy to post on yourself or just meaningless things that won't count for eternity. But I want my every post, my every word, my every action to count for eternity...not just for right now. Not just for what people like or people want. But what would please Jesus the most? That is such a big lesson that I have learned and continue to learn.

6. Time with Jesus is the most important thing. It's so easy to get caught up in serving Him and doing other things that we forget that time with Jesus is the most important thing in life. We first spend time with him and then we are filled up to go serve and love people. I've learned that if my serving or "other things" are taking away from my time with Jesus I need to change things.

7. Serve where God is actually calling you to. This has been a huge one for me as I've been praying where I should serve after I finish blogging. I want to serve not where there's just an opportunity, but where God is actually calling me to and I have a peace about doing.

8. Balancing life is one of the most wonderful things(and hardest!) We can't do everything and we must say no to things. I have continually been evaluating my life and cutting down on things so that I'm not stressed or too busy. It's amazing the difference that cutting way down on your blog reading list, unsubscribing from every email that you don't really want to read, simplifying life, telling no to things, and doing things that truly matter and count for eternity can make such a big difference in your life. You can have freedom from not being stressed and too busy and your life can have balance.

9. Friends can make a huge difference in your life. They can discourage you or encourage you. Build you up or break you down. I have had both happen, but mostly encouraging me. I have had many times where I'm feeling down and just a friendly hello from one of my friends will brighten my day.

10. Being a friend is not easy. It takes a lot of giving of yourself. Your time, your energy, your love. But there are so many rewards too!!

11. Replace trivial things with eternal things. This gives life so much more purpose and joy(although it is very hard!) when we know that everything we're doing and spending our time on is going to last for eternity. It is something I continually have to do. Reevaluate if the things I'm spending my time on our eternal or trivial.

12. Family time is super important. I've realized this more and more as some of my brothers will be going off to grad-school soon and my other siblings are growing up so fast. I know I'll regret it a lot looking back if I don't spend good quality time with them.

13. Checking motives is very important too. I often have wrong motives and so I need to continually check...why am I doing this?

14. The Bible is so full of wisdom and so refreshing. It is amazing the wonders that just getting into the Word can do to refresh and renew your spirit even when you don't feel like it.

15. Feeling far from God is a very hard thing to go through, but it can make you seek God more. I've felt distant from God for a while and it's made me look at my life and pursue God in a more whole-hearted way.

16. Prayer is such a wonderful thing.
It gives me so much peace when I hand over whatever I'm going through to the One who is so able to take care of it.

 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have learned so many more things this year, but those are some of the big ones. And I certainly have not perfected any of these...I learn them in a fresh (sometimes hard!) way frequently. But God is so good isn't he? He is so patient to teach us lessons again and again and he never fails us. He is so loving and I'm so thankful that I'm not alone going into 2017. I know that whatever I face I have a safe refuge I can run to. 

What things has God taught you in 2016? Can you relate to anything that God has taught me? Let's praise God for all the things he's done this past year! 

10 comments:

  1. What an amazing list, Hannah! It seems like God showed us a lot of similar things this year. I especially love numbers 5, 7, 10, 11. 13, and 15. There's still so much that God is teaching me! *sigh* I can't wait to discuss them with you soon. :)

    Have an amazing 2017, sweet friend! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily! And yes! It does seem like he's showed us similar things which is really neat! :) And I knowww...SO much that I'm still learning...again and again. ;) And yes!! That will be awesome.

      Aww, you too, super duper sweet friend!

      Delete
  2. Wow, I love this post! #3, 5, and 9 are particularly relatable at the moment. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Hanne! I'm so glad to find someone who can relate. :) I checked out your blog and it looks wonderful! Thank you for stopping by!!

      Delete
  3. Lovely post, Hannah. I can totally agree with several of these. Especially the one about trusting God's timing. I get stressed and worried about things wayyy to easily, but it is so important to remember that God has an amazing plan for my life. Thank you for posting this! :)

    ~Megan<333
    (megans-journals.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Megan! I'm so glad you can relate to some of these! The ones you mentioned are such good/hard ones! What other things has God been teaching you?

      Thank you for commenting, dear! <3

      Delete
  4. These are all full of SO much truth!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Yes! Thank you for commenting, Grace Anne!

      Delete
  5. Great post, my friend! =)
    And number one? MY OH MY, Hannah, that seems like that was what God was showing our family during the whole of 2016! Lots of bad things happened, lots of good things happened, but through it all, God was working. I can't imagine what the hard times must feel like for those who don't know that God is weaving His beautiful threads through it all!
    These are all wonderful things that God taught you, Hannah! It is a beautiful thing that instead of highlighting yourself, you chose to highlight God. Man, you are dedicated to Him!!! <3
    Have a wonderful 2017, my friend!!
    -Ariel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ariel!

      Aw, that's so cool God showed you that too!! That is so good and so hard. :/ I totally agree with you though..."through it all God was working". Definitely! I made a list of all that had happened (in events) and I was able to look back and praise God for the trials and see good that had come out of it. It is wonderful to know that God has a purpose in everything!

      Have a wonderful 2017 too, sweet girl!!!

      Delete

I absolutely love getting comments! They always put a smile on my face, happiness in my heart, and making blogging totally worth it, so I would love if you would comment and tell me what you think!

I ask only that every word you say is completely appropriate and completely honors God. Thank you so much! :)