1.11.2017

The Better Part III


"Of one hundred men, one will read the Bible; the ninety nine will read the Christian"
Dwight L. Moody

Ninety Nine will read the Christian. Wow. How thought provoking is that? Non-Christians are watching us whether we know it or not. They see our actions, how we serve others, and it does influences how they view Christianity and for some maybe even Jesus himself. I heard a story a while back of a group of people who went to the mall and asked people what they thought of Jesus. Almost everybody said positive things. Then they went again and asked a different question..."What do you think of Christians?". Almost all of the responses were negative. How can that be? How can everybody think positively of Jesus and yet negatively of Christians? Yes, we are all sinners, but Jesus should be showing through our life. In our actions. In how and if we are serving others. 

"Kitchen service", as Mrs. Weaver calls it, is not optional. It is commanded by Jesus himself. 

John 13:1-17 tells the story of Jesus washing his disciples feet. It was such a humble act. Such a humble way Jesus served. And after he had finished he spoke these words "For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you." This is the only time Jesus specifically told his disciples to follow his example. Jesus set us an example of serving while he was here on earth that we might follow in his steps. 

And yet we so easily can serve with the wrong motives. Mrs. Weaver shared a few things to ask yourself when you are serving others to make sure your motives and heart are right before God.

Am I serving to...
-Impress
-Receive external rewards
-Feel good about myself
-Muffle God's voice demanding I change
And is my service affected by moods and whims. (mine or others)

That last one ...ouch. I think I'm the most guilty of this. Serving when I have lots of energy. When I feel like it. When it's something pretty fun actually. When I know I'll be thanked kindly. When I'm sure someone will notice. I also often serve when others are in a good mood. I'll serve my friends and family when they are happy and in a thankful mood, but not when they are down and in a bad mood. It's wrong though. Our service should not be affected by our own emotions or others, but we should serve however God is leading us at that time even if we are tired, lonely, and really just want to curl up and go to sleep. Get away from the world and relax. I don't want you to think though that we should serve at every single opportunity. Like I said in my last post we should pray and see what God is leading us to do. I'm just saying that we should not serve only when we feel like it or for the wrong motives. We do need times of rest though and we cannot serve every person, but for the things that we know God would want us to do we should do them even when our emotions strongly disagree. :)

Another thing that Mrs. Weaver mentioned was the three ways that we serve:

On our way 
Out of our way 
And in all kinds of ways 

Sounds pretty simple and I won't try to go much deeper except on the last one. She was talking about gifts. How we often can use them as excuses not to serve. Gifts are absolutely given to us by God, but I think we often can make excuses. I was laughing at a few of her excuses that she shared. "I'm an exhorter! I don't clean bathrooms." ;) Mrs. Weaver was talking about how gifts are so important, but they aren't an excuse just to pick and choose how we are going to serve. We should take them into account and use them if we are able, but they should not get in the way of being completely available to serve in any way God is leading us to. We should see where God is working and join Him in His work instead of grumbling that it's not our gifting. 

"If you really love one another you will not be able to avoid making sacrifices."
Mother Teresa 

On Producing Fruit 

"Producing fruit" is so important! It is by our fruit that people know we are Christians. Mrs. Weaver brought up a neat point though. How when we have that "Living Room intimacy" (time with Jesus) and get connected to the Vine fruit happens. Fruit is not something we can manufacture...it's only something that happens when we are connected to the Vine. So I think instead of trying to "manufacture" fruit we should focus on getting connected to the Vine and then fruit will happen. Not that it doesn't take work, but it all comes down to us getting connected to the Vine. 
  
Worshiping Him in Whatever We Do 

"The time of business does not with me differ from the time of prayer, and in the noise and clatter of my kitchen, while several persons are at the same time calling for different things, I possess God in a great tranquility as if I were upon my knees at the blessed sacrament."
Brother Lawrence

Wow. This is so powerful. We don't need to be feeding the homeless to be worshiping and glorying God. We can glorify God and worship Him through doing school and washing dishes...things that must be done can be done for Him...to glorify His name. Every mundane task can be an opportunity to glorify the King of Kings!

I know I packed a lot of different things in here, but I'd love to hear your thoughts! What ways is God calling you to serve right now? Do you struggle with anything mentioned above? What are your thoughts on serving?

6 comments:

  1. Wow.... lots to think about in here! I love the point about worshiping God no matter what we're doing- as long as it's for Him, it's glorifying Him!

    Wonderful post, Hannah! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily! Yes, I loved that quote. It's so cool to know that whatever we're doing --- washing dishes, doing school, spending time with siblings --- we can be glorying God if we're doing it unto Him.

      Thank you for commenting! <3

      Delete
  2. OH GOOD GRACIOUS I LOVE THIS BOOK. Mrs. Weaver has such an awesome writing style, and I learned a lot of great things from 'Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World'!!
    I feel like God is calling me to serve my siblings more...not only simply to serve them, but to do it with a servant's heart. My issue is that I find myself outwardly giving, but inwardly griping. =( This can't be a good thing, and it's something that needs to be overcome. But through the power of the Holy Spirit, NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!! =)
    This was a great post, girl!
    -Ariel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a super wonderful book! I learned so much from it! =)

      And that is wonderful! I have felt the exact thing. I need to serve my siblings/family more and be an example to them. Exactly! And yes...*sigh* Outwardly we do it, but inwardly we don't always have a servants heart. =(
      But you're very right! With God working through us we can do anything! :)

      Thank you, dear!

      Delete
  3. Right now, I'm part of a pretty tight community of volunteers. Just about every day, I see the same 11 people, eat with the same 11 people, travel in the car with the same 11 people, etc. I'm learning about how each is created wonderfully and uniquely, and receives love differently. It takes time and effort to get to know what makes each of them feel loved and cared for. So serving one person looks different from serving the next. I can love my roommate by planning to be out of our room on our days off to give her some alone time. I can love the director by protecting his family time and I can love his wife by offering to get her a mug of hot water or by asking her about her recent food choices. That's what the 'serving' part of my life basically looks like right now. It's a huge learning curve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true, Jordy! Me and my Mom have talked about that with gifts. Everybody has a different "love language". =) I think it's super important to serve each person as they like best! Thank you for bringing that up!

      ♥♥♥

      Delete

I absolutely love getting comments! They always put a smile on my face, happiness in my heart, and making blogging totally worth it, so I would love if you would comment and tell me what you think!

I ask only that every word you say is completely appropriate and completely honors God. Thank you so much! :)