5.28.2016

The Dangers Of Gossip

Welcome back on this beautiful Saturday morning!

This Saturdays post is going to be about Gossip. This is an extremely difficult subject to talk about and one that I still have a lot to learn in. So please don't ever think what I'm writing I have all down. Definitely not! :) But let's jump in and see what we can learn:


When I think of gossip I kind of picture one of two things. Either some older ladies gathering for tea and sharing the latest gossip(I know...it's weird!:) or a bunch of giggling school girls whispering the latest news. And so when I think of gossip I usually think that's just not something I do. But in the past few months as I've learned more about what gossip really is I'm realizing that I actually do it a lot without even knowing it. :(

Definition:

Gossip is pretty much "Idle talk about the affairs of others; rumor or general talk that is damaging to the reputation of others". This is the definition.


But what is gossip...literally?

Gossip can be as simple as telling a negative trait like "She's kind of silly". It can also be saying something good with something bad...like "She's really nice, but a little sloppy". Or by just giving negative impression: "Some people don't like her". And also just leaving questions in people minds: "I don't know what to think of her".

I always would say "If you would not say it around the person you are talking about don't say it at all". Although there are some exceptions this is a general rule. Gossip is probably something you haven't even realized you're doing. It is a subtle thing that Satan uses to keep us from following Jesus.

Why do we gossip? What is the root issue?

 Well, I think there are many reasons such as: fear of man, pride, jealousy, bitterness, wanting revenge, and it is often just plain fun to share! It's also fun because it kind of brings friendships "closer" when people have that shared secret or news.

Results of gossip:

Gossip has ruined families, friendships, even whole churches. It is not something to be taken lightly.


God's view of gossip:

Gossip is extremely destructive although it seems harmless at the moment. The Bible does not treat gossip lightly. Romans 1:29 says "They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips," This lists gossip with things like murder, deceit, and malice! That is scary that it is so serious yet we do it a lot without even thinking.

So basically gossip is something that God commands us not to do. The results can be devastating. The root is often jealousy or bitterness...or it is just fun to share. And it is often as subtle as saying something like "She is weird", "He is silly", etc. 

(Now I do want to mention that I believe it is okay to share anything with your mom or dad including feelings of dislike for someone. Other than them though it is not right)

_________________________________________________________________________________

I would encourage you to monitor your words for a few days and see if there is anything you are saying to other people that is gossip. If there is make sure you take note of that and ask God to help you stop it. We don't want anything to hinder our influence as Christians!



10 comments:

  1. I liked how you broke your points down into clear sections. You wrote a lovely post and I must admit it was probably what I needed to hear today! Thank you. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bonnie! I think gossip is something that we all need to think about. I'm definitely not any better at it than you! :)

      Thank you for commenting! Your comments are always super sweet. <3

      Delete
  2. I never really knew what gossip meant. Now I know. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I understand, Anika! I never really knew until recently and I'm still learning more! :)

      Delete
  3. Another wonderful post, Hannah! The first time I really understood what gossip was was at Bright Lights, and it's been a while, so I needed a reminder. ;) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily! And I have to confess that I got a lot of these tips from B.L. as well. **grins sheepishly** It is SUCH a hard thing for me and for most girls in general. =)

      Thank you for all your sweet comments Emily!

      Delete
  4. It always amazes me..or sickens me, that it's so much easier to say something mean about someone, rather than uplifting. I find myself doing it often - and sometimes, I don't even realize it until later that I wasn't being Christ like!! :P Totally something I'm working through..great post though. Very though provoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is so true! It is terrible, but absolutely true. I have that happen to me a lot as well!

      Thank you for your comment, Julia!

      Delete
  5. Good thoughts, Hannah! One thing that I really noticed when we learned about gossip in our Reservation For Two class, was that even saying things like, "Can you pray for this person? They really struggle with this" is gossiping. It is very hard to monitor our words!! But if we keep our thoughts pure, I think our words will follow suite. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hosanna! And yes, I was going to mention prayer can be a really easy way that we gossip! I think gossip is so subtle. I know somebody who was just talking about gossip and then gossiped. It's super sad to see that. :(

      Delete

I absolutely love getting comments! They always put a smile on my face, happiness in my heart, and making blogging totally worth it, so I would love if you would comment and tell me what you think!

I ask only that every word you say is completely appropriate and completely honors God. Thank you so much! :)