9.17.2016

Impacting Christian Books

Happy Saturday!
I hope you all are having an amazing start to your weekend. Today's blog post is on one of my favorite topics...books. You can never have enough posts on your favorite books, can you? ;) I shared this a little in last Saturday's post, but recently I've really been thinking about how I don't just want to read meaningless, fun, sweet, or good stories, but I want to use my time to read books that actually impact my life and draw me closer to Jesus. In light of that, today's post is on "Impacting Christian Books". I'm going to share some of my favorite Fiction and Non-Fiction books that have impacted my life in some way. And after I post this I'm going to add a page to my blog called Impacting (or Impactful) Books and then you can look at this list whenever you want and I'll regularly add to it as I read more impacting books. :) Anyway, on with the post...


| Fiction |


All these books have completely impacted my life and I have to say they're my favorite books of all time. This series is unique so that there's a bunch of series within the series. So I linked to Martha Finley (the author) where you can check out all the different series. These are amazing books! 


This book is by Janette Oke and I read it a while back, but it did impact me! I remember it helped me see how we all are different and we can't be just like another person and we have to accept that God isn't going to write the same story for all of us. Plus the story line is wonderful! :)


These books really did impact me! They taught me so much about history and the Jewish faith. There is quite a bit of violence so depending on what you're comfortable you might want to think about that before you read them. My mom is reading them to me and my brother and so she takes out the really gruesome parts, but they are such good books!

04. A Penny Parcel

This book was so amazing! It is extremely thick so beware, but it definitely impacted my life. It kept me captivated through the whole thing and showed lessons on giving up your reputation, loving when there's no response, and how Jesus can heal us from whatever we've experienced in the past. 

05. Counted Worthy 

This book is also incredible! It is full of excitement and made me cry at the end. It really impacted my life and taught me how precious our faith should be.

06.

07. 

08. 

09.

010.



| Non-Fiction |

01. Don't Waste Your Life

Ok, so I actually have not finished this whole book, but I know from others in my family that it is an extremely good book. I think every christian should read it!

02. Beautiful Girlhood

This book is a little "old fashioned" if you will, but still an extremely good book! It taught me much about living life in relatable ways.

03. Authentic Beauty

This book has impacted my life so much! It teaches you on living the Christian life pursuing and falling in love with Jesus!

04. It's (Not That) Complicated

This book impacted me a lot in the area of purity and relationships. It is very practical which I loved and although I wouldn't say that I agreed 100% with everything they said most of it was really good!

05. Before You Meet Prince Charming

This book is so good! It really challenged me also in the area of purity and saving everything for one person and not freely giving away feelings and emotions.

06. The Lost Art of True Beauty

Another incredible book by Leslie Ludy! It shared really practical advice on how to be a woman of virtue and beauty. It shared advice on treating people, dressing, acting, and just really, really good advice that completely changed and challenged me.

07. Lady in Waiting

Another excellent book on purity! I really, really, appreciated how this book was all on shaping your own character while you wait for the right person as a lot of the books I've read are all about what the guy's character should be and not on yourself. One note though. The author is very open about different subjects and issues regarding purity and so if you don't know a lot about this area a lot of things would be really shocking.

08. Get Lost

Get Lost is a fabulous book! It guides you through 10  love feasts just to feast on Jesus love and get lost in Him. Plus I named my blog after this book. ;)

09.  Do Hard Things

Last, but definitely not least is Brett Harris' book "Do Hard Things". I read it a long time ago, but I remember it was extremely challenging on getting out of your comfort zone and "doing hard things". Every teen should read this book!

010. 

I have a few blanks as I couldn't think of any more books that had really impacted me, but as I find more amazing books I'll be adding to this list. =)

Now, I want to know...what 3 books have impacted your life the most? (other than the Bible) I really, really want recommendations so I would love to hear your thoughts!! :)

26 comments:

  1. First off, I totally agree about Do Hard Things! I'm hesitant to use the phrase "every teen/woman/person/etc should read such-and-such" since I hear it used so often, but Do Hard Things is a book with which I WOULD use it. :)

    But now for my own three books:

    1- Crazy Love by Francis Chan (Nonfiction)
    2- Covenant Child by Terri Blackstock (Fiction)
    3- The Chronicles of Narnia (well, fiction)

    All of these I've read more than two years ago. I haven't really read any "wow"-material stuff recently.

    I might add Monster by Frank Peretti?? It's "christian fiction" and makes some interesting points about creation vs evolution. However I didn't find it particularly outstanding, and potential readers should be aware that you might find it scary and/or violent. It's an option, but I would go for other books first if my goal is to focus less on the trivial and more on the eternal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes I completely agree! I think that term can often be misused, but Do Hard Things is definitely a book worthy of the term. =)

      I really would love to read "Crazy Love" sometime! I've heard lots of good things about it! And "Covenant Child" is ready for pickup at our library so yay! :) And of course, I'm excited to read the Chronicles of Narnia as I've heard tons of good things about it. =) Those all sound like fantastic books!

      Ok, that's good to know about that book! It sounds interesting, but I honestly don't like extremely scary books so I don't know if I would like it. =)

      Thank you so much for commenting, Jordy! I always love reading your comments. :)

      Delete
    2. I love chatting with you in the comments, too, Hannah. :) It's always a pleasure. X)

      Delete
  2. I totally agree about Counted Worthy - that book is AH-MAZING. I sure hope Leah E. Good writes a sequel to it! That would be awesome.

    The Blue Door by Christa Kinde is a wonderful read (it's a sweet Christian fantasy that my whole family loves), and so is Raising Dragons by Bryan Davis (if you like stories with dragon and intensity in them, that is), so those would be my recommendations. And Resistance by Jaye L. Knight ... and Dare by Tricia Mingerink ... and A Time To Die by Nadine Brandes (I'm going to be posting a review of that one on my blog is a few days) ... I could keep going, but I think I'll stop there :D.

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any of those books, but they all sound awesome! My sister and mom are reading Get Lost right now. :)

      A Time to Die by Nadine Brandes is one of my favorites. It takes place in a society where everyone has a Clock counting down to their death. It's an amazing story of faith and adventure!

      Resistance by Jaye L. Knight is one of my favorites too. :) It's a fantasy book that takes place in a world where Christians are persecuted.

      Delete
    2. YES, Counted Worthy is amazing!!! I really would love there to be a sequel too! *hopeful sigh*

      Thank you so much for the recommendations!! Quite a few of those I have been wanting to read for a little while so you're making me want to read them even more. =)

      Oh! And just curious, but do you have a Goodreads account?

      Thank you for your lovely comments, Savannah!!

      Delete
    3. Oh, that's really cool that they're reading "Get Lost", Alea! I really loved that book. =)

      I really want to read "A Time to Die"! I've heard tons of good things about it so it would be fun to read. It sounds really interesting!

      And yes! "Resistance" I also have marked to-read. It sounds very good!

      Thank you so much for commenting, Alea! <3

      Delete
    4. I don't have a Goodreads account ... YET. :) I might get one at some point (after I ask my parents), but I'm not terribly interested in it right now *shrugs*.

      ~ Savannah
      scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

      Delete
    5. Ok, neat! Yeah, I can tell you that it can be a big time waster. *sigh* I'm constantly having to make myself just use it for a few minutes and not spend an hour on there. ;) But it is pretty fun to see what others are reading, get recommendations, set goals, and keep track of your books. =)

      Delete
  3. What a great post to read, Hannah! :)
    I have read a lot of these, but the ones I haven't, I'm going to try to get very soon! I always appreciate new book recommendations.

    A few others that I might add that have impacted me that weren't on your list are the Terrestria Chronicles, the Chronicles of Narnia, and Jesus Freaks.

    What a lovely post again! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily! Yes, I'm guessing you have read a lot of them...aren't they so good?? *sigh* I especially adore the Life of Faith books. I'm actually going to re-read the Violet and Elsie books soon! And it's very rare for me to re-read a book...hehe. ;) Do you like to re-read books?

      Yes, book recommendations are so fun! I get so excited when I see recommendations for amazing Christian Historical Fiction. ;)

      Thanks you for the recommendations! Yes, Terrestria books are so good...I forgot to put those down. =) I'm excited to read the Narnia books and Jesus Freaks too!

      You're too sweet, Emily! <3

      Delete
  4. This was a very encouraging post, Hannah!
    I actually haven't heard of any of those books except for "Do Hard things".
    Three books that have really encouraged me... They're actually series. The Viking Quest series, the Terrestria Chronicles, and the Wilder-king trilogy. The first two were much better and I could say that I was encouraged towards Christ a lot more through them. :)

    -Josiah C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And those all sound like great books. The Terrestria Chronicles are all amazing and I actually just finished reading the first in the Viking Quest series and it was a great book! I've also heard that the Wilderking books are good too.

      Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  5. Great post, Hannah! It’s always fun to get some good book recommendations. :D
    I just LOVE the A Life of Faith books!!! :D They are all soooo good and so very inspiring!! I’m actually re-reading those books now. :) I’m almost done with “Millie’s Courageous Days”.
    I have “The Measure of a Heart” by Janette Oke. I just haven’t read it yet, but I can’t wait to now! =)
    I’m also making my way through “Before You Meet Prince Charming”.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebekah! Yes, I totally agree. :)

      And LIFE OF FAITH. Yes!!! Those are pretty much the only books I've re-read and are going to re-read soon. SO good! I'm going to start into the Elsie and then Violet books soon! I can't wait. Eeek. ;)

      That's awesome that you have "A Measure of a Heart" and are going through "Before You Meet Prince Charming". Both of those are great books!

      Thank you for commenting, Rebekah!

      Delete
    2. Re-reading favorite books is so fun! :D I haven't read the Violet books and the last few Elsie books in quite a few years, so I'm super excited to read those ones too. :) Which A Life of Faith books are your favorite?

      By the way, I just wanted to let you know that I tagged you for the Pray for People and Country Tag. If you'd like to participate here is the link: http://rebekahashleigh.blogspot.com/2016/09/the-pray-for-people-and-country-tag.html

      Delete
    3. Yes, it is! =) Don't you just get so excited thinking about reading the ALOF books again?? They are just SO good. I love them!!! My favorite are the Millie's because I can relate to Millie so much and I LOVE where she lives, her friends...just everything about those books. What about you??

      Oh, thank you for tagging me!! That looks like a wonderful tag. =)

      Delete
    4. Yes, I do! I've been wanting to re-read the A Life of Faith books for quite a while now, so I'm so excited to be doing it now! :D
      Millie is my favorite too! :) She is definitely easy to relate to.
      Have you read the Laylie book and the Kathleen books also?

      You're welcome!

      Delete
    5. Yes, that is so exciting! =) And yay, for another Millie lover. :) Yes, I have read the Kathleen and Laylie books! Those were so good as well!! Have you read them??

      I just love talking about A Life of Faith books. :D *sigh* Do you by chance have a Goodreads account too?

      Delete
    6. Yes, I have read Kathleen and Laylie too! :D They were both really good. :)

      I love talking about the A Life of Faith books too! I don't have a Goodreads account, but it looks like it might be kinda fun. :)

      Delete
    7. Yes, it is so fun to talk about ALOF! Goodreads is fun, but can be a time waster...but I like it! ;)

      Delete
  6. Those are all great books! I'll have to check some of those out! I am reading Do Hard Things right now, and I'm enjoying it so far.

    Have a great week! :)

    With love and all joy,
    Allie D.
    www.alliesblogdesigns.blogspot.com
    www.friendlovesatalltimes.blogspot.com
    www.sincerelyallied.blogspot.com
    www.spreadingmyjoy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is really cool that you're reading "Do Hard Things"! That is a great book!! It really challenged me. =)

      Have a wonderful week as well! Thank you for commenting, Allie!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this post, Hannah! I'm trying to be more purposeful with what I spend time reading too. And there's a couple of books on your list I'm going check out; they sounds interesting! :)

    Hmmm, as for what three books have impacted my life the most, aside from a couple you already mentioned, there's a few I'd really recommend: The Book That Made Your World - it's not exactly light reading, but it's so fascinating to see how the Bible shaped history; Will Our Generation Speak?; and one I'm reading at the moment: The True Vine by Andrew Murray. There's more, but it's hard to remember and include everything I've read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Jessica! That is awesome that you're trying to be purposeful in your time reading. I think it is something we all should have a goal to be! And I'm glad you found a few books you want to check out. :)

      And thank you for the recommendations!! I actually just got "Will our Generation Speak" from our library so I'll definitely be reading that soon. =)

      Thank you for commenting, Jessica! Have a wonderful day. :)

      Delete

I absolutely love getting comments! They always put a smile on my face, happiness in my heart, and making blogging totally worth it, so I would love if you would comment and tell me what you think!

I ask only that every word you say is completely appropriate and completely honors God. Thank you so much! :)